Sunday, December 4, 2011

Willy Wonka Birthday Party

The Golden Ticket invitation! 
This year's location was the most adorable cottage in Elk Rapids, MI.  Grandma Byard made the giant lollipops for the front yard!

Willy Wonka goodies!
Party favors for the kiddies!
Fizzy Lifting Drinks for the burping contest!

There were refreshments for kids...
...and for adults as well!

Theme-ing the food!
The dream cake!  Made by the talented Ann Barraclough of Lake Ann, MI.  Her award-winning business is called Aunt B's Cakes & Desserts.  It was chocolate cake with a chocolate Bavarian cream filling and peanut butter frosting under the prettiness.  It was DIVINE!!!
You can't have a Wonka party without a chocolate fountain!
Maggie R. signing The Birthday Contract.
Matthew G. tasting the lickable wallpaper...the kids loved it!  Jolly Ranchers did the trick.  "The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!"
The bounce castle was the major hit of the entire day!
Attacking Uncle Mike, who was brave enough to enter!
Grandma Byard made the Oompa Loompa cut out, and I thought this shot of Miss Genevieve was especially cute!
Singing Happy Birthday to MVP.
Cousin Anna helping her open gifts. 

Margaux turned 3!!!  Insert here all of the usual "time flies by so quickly" phrases.  We decided to have her birthday party in the Traverse City area again so that all of her little cousins and many friends could more easily attend.  I found the most adorable red cottage in Elk Rapids, MI and it was the perfect location for a party!  One of MVP's favorite movies is Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory...the old Gene Wilder version.  So this was the theme and I put a lot of thought and effort into it, as I do for all of my parties, but especially her birthday parties.  Why?  First of all, it's what I love to do...I enjoy planning and being creative and I believe in going all out to make things nice.  I cannot deny that my heart breaks a little when I see people put zero effort into their hodge-podge parties!  You don't have to spend a lot of money, just put some TLC into it!  Secondly, I didn't have birthday parties like this when I was little.  I don't mean that in a "poor me" kind of way, I had great parents and a blessed childhood, but they just weren't into all of this birthday stuff beyond cake & icecream with immediate family.  I admit it, the magic of these birthday parties that I create for my daughter also spills over a bit for me!  Lastly, because we live in Chicago and pretty much our entire family live in Michigan, Margaux misses out on the family birthday parties and get togethers.  Her birthday party is a chance to have all the kids together, playing and laughing and getting reacquainted.  It's for all of them.  The best perk of this year's big day was the SUNSHINE!!!  We are notorious for having it rain REALLY HARD when we host a party...our wedding, her baptism, her first two birthday parties and my 40th birthday party.  I laugh about it, but I am always crying inside just a little!  Happy third year, dear Margaux, God bless you and keep you...we love you more than words can ever express!!!























1 comment:

Unknown said...

These are just outstanding Willy Wonka birthday bash. The photos are so impressive. Our twin’s 6th birthday is coming and they have picked Easter theme for this bash. We would be hosting party at outdoor venues in Chicago on next weekend. The kids are eagerly waiting for the day.