Sunday, February 24, 2008

American Foundation For Suicide Prevention

***I have copy & pasted a MySpace blog entry from my friend & sorority sister, Janette. She will be participating in this event. Please donate if you are able...or even participate yourself and/or send Janette your well wishes! As most of you are aware, a dear friend of mine took his own life in 1993 and the pain for all of us who were left behind was indescribable. Sadly, suicide prevention programs don't receive the attention and funding that they deserve. Thanks all! ~Rebecca


American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
Dear MySpace Family and Friends,
I am preparing for something very important in my life, and I am asking for your moral, financial, and emotional support.
My brother James took his own life 24 years ago. It's not something that I have talked about often, but it is something that I have carried around in my heart for a long time.
I want to commemorate Jamie's life by participating in Out of the Darkness Overnight, an event that raises money for suicide prevention research, education, survivor and awareness programs. I will be among thousands of people walking 20 miles from sunset to sunrise to send a message of hope to the world.
No one talked to me about my brothers suicide. That's why I'm walking in Out of the Darkness Overnight, to raise awareness and let people know it is okay to talk about suicide and mental illness. I want to do my part to prevent this tragedy from happening in other families.
Your contribution, along with contributions from thousands of others, will have a serious impact on this cause. To help make a difference, you can click the link below to visit my personal fundraising web page and donate online. I encourage you to share this letter with other people who may want to lend their support as well.
https://www.theovernight.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=walk.supportwalker&walkerid=10010707
Thank You So Much for taking the time to read this. Live Well and Shine on!Janette.

1 comment:

RebeccaBP said...

Thank you Laura for your contibution & for the undertanding! Love ya, Rebecca.