Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Fourth Fun


So I was originally supposed to work on the 4th of July this year because it was my scheduled holiday, but a very nice coworker agreed to take my shift for me.  We decided to head up to Traverse City, MI and visit Patrick's sister and her family. We didn't get a very early start on Saturday and so we missed one of the gorgeous sunny days, but we awoke to perfect weather on Sunday morning and decided to head out to the Sleeping Bear Dunes.  I have not been there since I was a toddler and I have no idea why...it's absolutely gorgeous!  I could live on the top of those dunes and just stare out at the beauty for the rest of my life.  The legend of the Dunes is bittersweet and we bought the award winning book about it for Margaux when she's a little older.  Afterward we took a little drive through Glen Arbor where there was a 4th of July parade and then made our way to North Bar Lake back in Empire.  Patrick and I both agree that it's the greatest freshwater beach we have ever seen!  A beautiful Lake Michigan beach seeps through some dunes creating an inlet into a small, very blue lake surrounded by sand dunes and woods.  We soaked up the sun and then headed back to Traverse City to watch the fireworks from Kim & Mike's boat that was anchored in the bay amongst all of the Cherry Festival action.  Yesterday we all decided to go canoeing on the Platte River.  We have heard and read a lot of good things about this river and it's all true...very pretty and crystal clear.  We enjoyed walking past the final stop where the river empties into Lake Michigan.  The water was very warm until you crossed the invisible line into the lake where it became quite chilly!  We swam around and I found a little Petoskey stone for Anna to polish and add to her rock collection.  We ended the long holiday weekend with a yummy dinner (Mike is a grill genius!) and watching Hot Tub Time Machine.  We were sad to head back home today and we are looking forward to our next trip up north.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like a great weekend! :)

Blessings of my World said...

Looks like tons of fun.