Saturday, May 9, 2009

Rest In Peace, Sweet Buddy

A healthy Buddy soaking up the late afternoon sunshine in northern Michigan, summer 2006. This is how I will remember him.

Margaux's baptism party, April 19, 2009.


Tonite is the first night in a long time that our Buddy is not pacing and whimpering in discomfort, though I keep listening for him anyway. Tonite the famous pep is back in his step and he runs in beautiful pastures along side Scout, his beloved "Sissy". No more falling, no more pain.

Buddy's body has been failing him for quite some time now and this morning he could not stand on his own or walk more than a few steps without falling down. His life had become not much more than lying down or falling down and not being able to get back up without assistance. He had also lost control of his bowels and sometimes his bladder because of how weakened and emaciated his hind quarters had become. We had of course hoped that he would just pass away peacefully in his sleep like our Scout did before him, but it wasn't happening. We'd known all week what the right thing to do was, but it was just so tormenting and each day we didn't feel that we could follow through with it. We woke up this morning and knew that we had to do it because we owed it to him. We had originally planned for all of us to be there when it was time, but changed our minds this morning. It was just too hard for me. I sat with him on the kitchen floor and said my goodbyes while feeding him string cheese and sausage. Patrick took him on his final journey, just the two of them. It was actually fitting because the two of them always shared a special bond from the second they met back in the summer of 1999 when I found Buddy. I know he loved me, but he never looked at me the way he looked at his Papa. He was relaxed in his final moments with his favorite person holding him and reassuring him. Despite our great sadness at this time, we feel so lucky to have been blessed with our little Buddy, the most loving and faithful friend a family could ever ask for. We will forever miss him.


Buddy Gene Prater, specific age unknown, died May 9, 2009 after a long battle with degenerative ailments. Buddy came to live with the Prater family in August of 1999 when he was found standing in front of their apartment in Chicago, Illinois. Buddy came to the family already housebroken and with a winning personality. He loved to run and play and lick everyone and also enjoyed humping things whenever he could. Buddy was an excellent traveller and enjoyed many trips to see family in Michigan. Buddy is survived by his "mama & papa", his brother Jasper and sister Margaux. He was preceded in death by his older sister, Scout. Buddy's cremation arrangements are being handled by St. Francis Pet Funeral Services in Wood Dale, IL. The family suggests that donations be made to your favorite animal charity and that you save a pet's life through adoption if you can.

6 comments:

The Ranger's said...

I'm so sorry. Buddy was the happiest dog I've ever met. I'll miss being greeted by his licks!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. You did a wonderful job with this posting, and just as wonderful of a job giving him a full life. Tracy

Unknown said...

Aww! I love your obit!

Susan said...

I am so sorry for you, but I knw that buddy is in a better play running and jumping along side Scout. I will miss him.

bob said...

Buddy had a full and wonderful life, you were just as much a gift to him as he was to you. Be proud you were able to take such good care of him for so long.

Anonymous said...

Ahh I shouldn't have read this while at work. I'm so sorry for your loss.

~Heather F